Hamworthy Recreation FC - History

Club History

Hamworthy Recreation Football Club was formed in 1948 as Hamworthy Engineering FC and played on the Sports Ground opposite the factory at Fleets Bridge in Poole (where the Tesco Supermarket now stands). When the site at Fleets Bridge was sold to Tesco in the late 1980's the football, along with the Sports and Social Club moved to its current home at Magna Road, Canford Magna.

At the time of the move 'Hamworthy Engineering FC were playing in the Bournemouth League, Division 1. The Club won the Bournemouth Senior Cup in the 1988/1989 season, and after winning the Bournemouth League Division 1 Championship in 1991/1992 'The Rec' successfully applied to join the Dorset Combination League for the 1992/1993 season when they finished 3rd.

Success soon followed when the Club won the Combination League Championship in 1993/1994 and went on to gain a hat trick of wins by repeating the feat in 1994/1995 and 1995/1996.

'The Rec' have lifted the League Championship Trophy on another five occasions, 2000/2001, 2001/2002, 2004,/2005, 2009/2010 and 2010/2011.

In 2000/2001 the Club completed the League and Cup double when they defeated Hamworthy Utd FC in the final of the League Cup.

'The Rec' consider that their greatest achievement was in 1995 when, not only did they win the League Championship, they also won the Dorset Senior Cup, defeating Weymouth Football club from the Southern League by 3 goals to nil at Magna Road in the Semi-Final and Poole Town FC, another Southern League team 4 -1 in the final.

The 2000/2001 season saw the Club change its name to Hamworthy Recreation FC to reflect the name of its current headquarters. The season also saw 'The Rec' pip Portland United FC for the League title, although it was the Islanders who were promoted to the Wessex League as the Magna Road ground could not be brought up to the required standard.

Pat Notley who had served the Club as a player and manager for 25 years, assembling an excellent squad of players who have remained loyal to him and the Club stood down as Manager after the 2004/2005 Season before taking on a different role within the Club.

Steve's first success was in pipping Portland Utd 4 - 2 in a penalty shoot-out in the League Cup Final in 2007 after the match finished 1 - 1 after extra time. the following season (2008) Steve again took the team to the League Cup Final, this time not waiting for extra time beating Westland Sports 3 - 0.

The team finished strongly playing 11 League and Cup games during April and winning them all hauling themselves to 3rd place in the League.

2008/2009 was not so successful with the biggest disappointment being the loss to Chickerell Utd in the semi-final replay at Magna Road by 6 - 7 on penalties.

Well Gareth did! in 2010/2011 we were again League Champions and were knocked out in the quarter finals of the League Cup. Congratulations to Garfy and the lads again. The Reserves had a difficult season and staying in the BFA Premier League by one position. In 2011/2012 the First Team just failed to get the hat trick finishing as runners up in both the League and League Cup.

They reached the semis of the County Senior Cup before losing 1 - 2 to Wimborne Town. The Reserves held their own in an average season.

After a mediocre (by his and Rec’s standards) further season Garfy stood down at the end of 2012/13. During the summer of 2013 various avenues were explored and it was decided to look outside of the club for Gareth’s replacement. Keith Whating was offered the position and a transitional program was launched.

In Keith’s first season (2013/14) the League Cup was won (beating Portland 5 - 4 on penalties after a 0 - 0 draw) but the league campaign ended disappointedly when, well placed for a challenge, we only picked up 2 points from the final 18. The Reserves finished a creditable 4th and Mike Baker and Gary Hurren retired on a comparative high.

Lee Garrett and Ben Standish, who had successfully managed Bournemouth Electric Reserves, were appointed in their place. 2014/15 was yet another improvement as Keith took his team to the League and Cup double (the 2nd time Rec have achieved this) winning their final 12 matches. The Reserves finished their season on a high being Runners Up in the Bournemouth Premier Division, the highest position the Reserves have attained.

Unfortunately Ben and Lee had great difficulty re-signing players and left the club in the summer. Chris Payne and Tim Porter stepped into the breech.

The First Team is now managed by Kirk Grice and the Bournemouth Reserves by Andy Gilbert. We have grown to four teams for the 2018/2019 season by a Dorset Reserves side which was formerly Wimborne Phoenix FC managed by Stuart Pomeroy and an Under 18 team managed by Paul Risbridger and formed from last seasons Greenfields Under 16 team.